They say that becoming a mommy is one of the most rewarding things a woman can experience in her lifetime. Before having children, I’ll admit that I did not think that was possible and after having them, I now know that there is nothing I wouldn’t do for my kids. They drive me crazy sometimes and I don’t even know what sleep is anymore – but I wouldn’t have it any other way. While I learned a ton of things after having my children and continue to learn new things each day, there are 10 things that I have learned after becoming a mom that stick out to me the most. This is supposed to be a bit comical – but at the same time, a realization that our lives are no longer our own and our hearts will always belong to someone else.
“Making the decision to have a child – it’s momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body.”
– Elizabeth Stone
- It is not always a good thing when your children are quiet.
- You develop ninja skills overnight when you must keep your child from climbing, falling, running or putting things in their mouth.
- Food is no longer your own and to them, your food always looks better than what they have on their own plate… even if it is the same food you have on yours.
- LEGOS, WOODEN BLOCKS, ARMY MEN AND HOT WHEELS while cool to play with are the most painful things your feet will step on.
- Unless your children are in bed asleep or out of the house, you will no longer have privacy when you are using the bathroom
- Your new favorite Soap Opera or Chick Flick is anything on Disney Channel – you even sing along to the songs and can quote scenes. “The Doc is in and she’ll fix you up – if you’re a toy then you’re in luck”
- Your arms become race tracks for hot wheels, bikes and other types of vehicles.
- You no longer know what a full night’s sleep is.
- You are now an alien – You have eyes behind your back, six extra limbs, you are a lie detector and you’re psychic.
- They say you cannot live without your major organs… but yet, the most important thing I learned after becoming a mom… “Your heart really does go walking around outside your body!“
So I wish all of you mommies out there (and those soon to be) that you make your own memories out of the things you learned after becoming a mom. Know that when times are tough and your children can be a handful, that there are other mothers out there that have lived through and are living through some of what you are experiencing. Becoming a mom is one of the best decisions I have ever made in my lifetime and I wouldn’t change any of it for anything in the whole World. While challenges are constant, LOVE IS FOREVER!