This is a Collaborative Post with Ulta Beauty, Style Hunters and Amazing Cosmetics
After being in the Beauty Industry for quite a bit of years, I have seen makeup trends come and go and others return like hot cakes smothered in syrup. Did I just say that? Yes – because I’m craving hot cakes… but regardless, like all things popular – some stick around and stand the tests of time while others may disappear or die down a bit only to make another appearance and become popular once again. In the course of the last year, I have seen techniques used in the beauty industry years before that are now making a comeback, like contouring, strobing (exaggerated highlighting) and now baking. These techniques that were once used only for special occasions or typically for Television, Runway and Shows is now making its way to the forefront. I remember a time when “Baking, Strobing and Contouring” was what I used to make over my Drag Community friends and now I see it everywhere and becoming a popular technique used for every day. While it’s not something I would use daily, I think it is still a useful technique and can be used for great purpose. Today we are talking all about baking makeup, so grab a cup of joe (or a plate of hot cakes & syrup) and let’s chit chat about it.
Today I am going to share with you some quick tips on the baking makeup technique and how to do it. But first, let’s find out what the heck this “baking” is all about. Baking is a technique of highlighting and setting your makeup to give it a glow that is flawless but without a shimmer or glittery effect that you would typically get from regular highlight (like strobing). Baking allows the wearer to to give your face an illuminated/brightened appearance that will last and not crease with a matte finish. Here are my tips on what to do… follow along and try it for yourself.
Products you need:
While baking can technically be done with any type of cosmetics you have on hand, I’m using these from Amazing Cosmetics which you can find at Ulta Beauty.
- Moisturizer or eye cream
- Concealer – if you are particularly looking for a brighter under eye look, a concealer lighter than your skin tone is best – by a few shades.
- Beauty Blender
- Cosmetic sponge
- Translucent Powder – loose works well, but use what you have. I’m using a pressed powder
- fluffy brush – used to apply the translucent sponge and to swipe the excess powder away
- Setting Spray or mineral mist
Steps to baking:
- HYDRATE: Since this technique will leave you with a matte finish – it is essential that you hydrate and moisturize accordingly. I have really dry skin so I make sure to hydrate my under eyes so that the extra powder you are using does not settle into any wrinkles or under eye circles.
- Apply your concealer to your under eyes. I like to make sure I’m applying my concealer (preferably something creamy or liquid like so it blends easily) in a upside down triangle shape. Using your damp cosmetic sponge, blend the product out so that it is evenly distributed – blending effortlessly. A creamy or thick concealer works best. Try Amazing Cosmetics Amazing Concealer – I used the one in Light Caramel.
- Using your translucent powder – apply over the concealer with a fluffy brush. My favorite to use is my MAC 109 which will pack the color on and blend at the same time. The key here is to make sure you have enough powder to apply to your face where your concealer is.
- Bake / Cook your makeup! Using a wedge or cosmetic sponge, dampen with a setting spray or mineral mist and then dip the sponge into your translucent powder. Pack the loose powder generously over the area that you applied with your concealer. If you are using a pressed compact, you may need to tap your brush into the product a lot to pick up product. Wait 5 – 10 minutes while the powder sits and bakes. During this time I like to start working on my eye makeup. For the translucent powder I used Amazing Cosmetics Velvet Mineral Powder Set.
- With a fluffy brush, simply dust off the product on the face while blending to set your makeup.
When the baking is done and your makeup is complete, you’ll notice that you will not only have a flawless finish to your makeup application, but also have a highlighted appearance under eyes without that shimmery effect you can get from a glittery illuminator. What I love about looks like these is that they give you that glowy appearance. You can find all the products I mentioned at Ultabeauty.com. What’s great about makeup and makeup trends is that you decide what works for you and what doesn’t. Have fun with it, dress up and enjoy it!
Have you tried the baking / cooking makeup technique before? If so, will you be using this to strut your stuff this Fall and Winter season? I look forward to seeing your recreations and looks so be sure to post a photo of your flawless look. #ultatrendalert #StyleHunters4Ulta
Disclaimer: The products mentioned/featured in this post were sent to me for review/consideration and feature. All opinions are my own, 100% honest and unbiased. This is not a sponsored post but was done in collaboration with Style Hunters and Ulta Beauty.
I’m so excited because September means that Pumkin Spice Lattes and the Ulta 21 Days of Beauty is back for Fall. Ulta’s 21 Days of Beauty Event is one that many of us beauty lovers look forward to and anticipate each year. The event allows you to get awesome deals on some of your favorite products and beauty brands and today I’m sharing with you my Top Picks for this sale that began a few days ago.
If you have been following me a while – you know that the Per-fekt Beauty line is one of my favorites and the Lash Perfection Gel is one of my Top 5 Favorite Mascaras. Available on Sept. 17th – The Per-fekt Beauty Lash Perfection Gel is going to be on sale for $14 versus $28.50 at its retail price. Woohoo – time to stock up.
I’m not gonna lie, I’ve had my eyes on the Urban Decay Naked Skin Line since I first seen its release, and more so the Beauty Balm since I know I would get use out of it. Instead of $34 the Urban Decay Naked Skin Beauty Balm is just $17 – which is an absolute steal. Available Sept. 18th.
On Sept. 21st you can stock up on some Hydro Cool Firming Eye Gels from Skyn Iceland. This Online Only steal is perfect to take advantage of so you can up your skin care game. Get 35% off the products and get ready for your Fall and Winter skin care routine. I have tried many eye gels but have had this product on my wishlist now since I first seen it released. I’m excited to try it and add this product to my nighttime skincare routine.
The last product I have is the Cargo Swimmables Water Resistant Blush & Powder Blush. I got Los Cabos which is a peach toned blush that will be perfect to add a little brightness to your cheeks year round. Originally retailing for $26.00 – during the Ulta Beauty 21 Days of Beauty Sale you will get the full sized blush for just $13.
While some of my picks may not tickle your fancy – there is a bunch of goodies available for you to choose from – all at discounted prices for your picking and taking. Here is a small list of products on sale in case you are interested. I started the sale from today’s date on so that you will not be sad that you may have missed out on some of the others that were available last week 🙂
You can check out the full list here.
September 15 – IT Cosmetics Eye lift in a Tube (50% off / now $14.50) and Dermablend Smooth Liquid Camo Foundation (Online only – 35% off / Now $22.75)
September 17 – Too Faced Bulletproof 24 Hour Eye Liner (50% off / now $11) and Per-fect Beauty Lash Perfection Gel & Liquid Lash Curler (Online only – now $14)
September 19th – Bare Minerals Lasting Line or Round The Clock Eye liner (50% off / now $8), Exuviance – Entire Line (25% off / now $18-90)
September 20th – Laura Geller Balance-n-Brighten Baked Color Correcting Foundation (now $20 / regular $33) and Smashbox Full Exposure Mascara (50% off / now $10)
September 21st – Skyn Iceland (online only steal) Hydro Cool Firming Eye and Face Gels (35% off / now $19.50 – 22.75)
September 22nd – Amazing Cosmetics Anti-Aging Primer, Travel size (now $10 / regular $18)
September 23rd – Cargo Swimmables Water Resistant Blush and Powder Blush (online only steal – 50% off / now $13)
September 24th – Stila Convertible Color (now $12 / regular $25)
September 25th – IT Cosmetics Hello Lashes Mascara (50% off / now $12)
September 26th – Tarte Lights, Camera, Lashes Precision Longwear Liner (50% off / now $10)
Are you going to be taking advantage of some of these awesome steals? While I think this list of goodies that Ulta Beauty has for discount is great – there are a few brands I would have loved to seen in the sale… do you have any brands you would have liked to see too? What’s on your list to pick up?
Disclaimer: The products mentioned in this post were sent to me for review and consideration. All opinions are my own and 100% honest and unbiased. I was not paid to provide my thoughts on these items or to feature them however, there are affiliate links posted through out.